28 April 2010

Smoothies With A Twist!

I can't begin to tell you how many inquiries I get a week asking how to get more creative with healthy food! I absolutely love, love helping find healthy and natural solutions to others issues with food or even exercising. One issue I have had to overcome is getting enough calories in a day! First, I am busy, so as most can relate, it is very difficult to take a break when you are go-go-go! Second, I just don't flat enough. So, fellow co-worker suggested I try smoothies- adjustable calorie snacks/meals that can increase calories if needed. So, here is a handful of recipes that kicks the rut and offers a spin on typical fruit smoothies!

Breakfast Banana Shake
• 1 cup of ice
• 1/2 cup of nonfat low-fat almond milk*
• 1 banana, peeled and sliced
• 1 medjool date, pitted and chopped
• 1 tbsp. of almond butter
* If you just use almond milk for this, that works. It won't spoil quickly.

Nutrition: 307 calories, 11g fat, 5g fiber

Refresher Island Mango Chiller
• 1 cup of ice
• 3/4 cup of chopped mango
• 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks
• 2 tbsp. pineapple can juice
• 1/2 tsp. lime zest
• dash of cayenne pepper

Nutrition: 155 calories, less than 1 g fat, 4g fiber

Green Tea Melon Cooler
• 1 cup of ice
• 1 cup cubed honeydew*
• 1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
• 2 tsp. agave nectar/honey
• 2 tsp. fresh mint, chopped
• 1/2 tsp. matcha (no more or you will bounce off the walls)
* Check the grocery stores in the deli for fresh cut fruit, usually discounted cut fruit there.

Nutrition: 150 calories, less than 1g fat, 4g fiber

Tangy Cherry Berry Sipper
•1 cup of ice
• 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
• 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and halved
• 1/2 cup low-far greek yogurt
• 2 tsp. ground flaxseed
• 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Nutrition: 165 calories, 4g fat, 5g fiber

Triple-Berry Antioxidant Punch
• 1 cup of ice
• 1/2 cup blueberries
• 1/2 cup blackberries
• 1/4 cup drained silken tofu (trust me... what i steer you wrong?)
• 2 tbsp. acai juice
• 2 tsp. agave nectar/honey
• 1/8 tsp cardamon, ground

Nutrition: 149 calories, 2g fat, 6g fiber

If your thoughts are, oh, sounds great, but its just me eating these so the fruit would go bad... Problem solved! Try frozen fruit! I hope you venture out and try these smoothies with a twist! I personally don't crave a big breakfast, but smoothies are an awesome way for me to get my day kicked off right and getting the correct amount of calories for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment