15 January 2010

Calorie Counting @ the Coffeeshop!

So, I have worked at a coffeeshop it feels as if my entire life. It's really just on and off for the past 6 years. However saying my entire life does sound more interesting! So, I have worked at a coffeeshop my entire life! I have subconsciously gained the ability to look at a customer and as they step toward the counter my mind is assessing. I want to clarify; I am no one's judge. This is not judging or stereotyping. In fact, stereotyping does not work. I am noticing and taking note. There is a science to this somehow.
My assessing is nearly fool-proof I will say with confidence. I notice everything including how they walk in, what they have on, what do they have in their hands, are they alone, how do they walk, what's their facial and body expressions. It all tells me what you drink at a coffeeshop! I promise! Now as far as specifications such as nonfat/skim milk, 1 less pump of syrup, extra espresso that is a bit harder to read. They have to speak before I can pre-determine what that will be. Also, once they order, I can tell you what they will also like.

I have always enjoyed working at a coffeeshop! People go out to restaurants and tip 15%-20%. They go to a coffeeshop and tip 54%-68% on average. That part never fails to astound me, but it's not about the money! It's about how awesome it is to get up in the morning and have a hot cup of coffee/tea, the low-stress but high adrenaline you get pumping out drinks and everyone is so happy to receive that cup of goodness, the ability to make an art out of it such as creating leaves, flowers, trees on top of lattes, the appreciation and satisfaction of others in what you do is hard to find! Must be why I keep coming back! The downside would be not being able to go just anywhere for coffee. I do not appreciate paying a premium for burnt hot water... it's very disappointing! I do however support locals in any way I can. Local coffeeshops in this case. Dilworth Coffeehouse is my favorite coffeeshop!

COFFEE FACTS:
• Coffee is a bright, red berry! Location of where it's grown is everything!
• Coffee is rich in anti-oxidants and helping fight those free radicals.
• Coffee is naturally zero calories even flavored coffee!
• Coffee is 2nd largest traded commodity of the world. The 1st is oil.
•Espresso-based drinks are pressurized shots of finely ground coffee we put in the bottom of fru-fru coffee drinks.

This is a cool website I found! 15 Things To Know About Coffee

HOW ESPRESSO-BASED DRINKS ARE MADE:
First, we put the syrup/sauce of choice. The espresso shot is a little more invasive. First, we grind, shuffle out the grinds into the portafilter, pack the grinds with a tamp, smooth the edges, lock on the portafilter holding your grinds into the machine, press sm/med/large then place the cup underneath. While that is extracting the espresso into your cup. We pull a milk pitcher and milk of choice. Place steam wand into milk filled pitcher, and turn it on. This adds steam and air into the milk creating froth or foam and heat of course. So, thus why those are more expensive. There's a lot into making it, so it can taste different depending on barista. This should finish at the same time as the shot, so pour milk into cup and typically gets topped with whip cream.

I asked via a facebook status what are some of your favorites to order at a coffee. I did the drinks calories according to a size medium.

Top Results:

White Chocolate Raspberry Mocha
Calories-305, Carbs-48.25g, Fat-1g, Protein-10g
Ingredients: 1.5 Pumps of White Chocolate Sauce, 3 Pumps of Raspberry Syrup, 2 oz. of Espresso, 10 oz. of Frothed Skim Milk, and Whip Cream

Peppermint Mocha
Calories- 305, Carbs- 48.25g, Fat- 1g, Protein-10g
Ingredients: 1.5 Pumps of Chocolate Sauce, 3 Pumps of Peppermint Syrup, 2 oz. of Espresso, 10 oz. of Frothed Skim Milk, and Whip Cream

White Mocha
Calories-225, Carbs-28.25g,Fat-.75g, Protein-10g
Ingredients: 1.5 Pumps of White Chocolate Sauce, 2 oz. of Espresso, 10 oz. of Frothed Skim Milk, and Whip Cream

Spiced Chai Latte
Calories-259, Carbs-36g, Protein-11g
Ingredients: 1.5 Scoops of Spiced Chai Powder, 3 oz. of Steeping Water, 7 oz. of Frothed Skim Milk

Caramel Macchiato
Calories-239, Carbs-35g, Protein-9g
Ingredients: 4 Pumps of Vanilla Syrup, 2 oz. of Espresso, 10 oz. Frothed Skim Milk, and Whip Cream

Hints When Ordering:

• Ask for 1 pump less and reduce by 27 calories.
• Ask for no whip and reduce by 15 calories.
• Ask for whole milk and add 90 calories.
• Ask for Sugar Free and add 15g of sodium.

Choose coffee. Not drugs. Same effect only it's legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment