22 January 2010

Skin Care Series, Part 1

I am beginning a mini series of posts on one of my favorite topics to learn about, our skin!
Everyone's skin looks different based on so many factors. I am a nut about using absolutely no synthetic chemicals on my face and based on the information I want to share I should be! I never really though too much about body butter, shea butter, cocoa butter all being paired with harmful chemicals as well. The labels are mis-reading and that is why I am sharing. There are some things I eat and use that are sooo good to taste, and I really would just like to turn my health-conscience head the other way! However, I feel the urge to no longer turn my head on the ingredients in my body lotion.
I receive a e-newsletter from Dr. Mercola a couple times a week. He has a health center that focuses on optimal wellness. He presents facts about everything... I mean EVERYTHING! He has lots of videos paired with about every article he posts. Check him out for yourself!

Skin Facts:
• Skin is the largest organ and the thinnest.
• Skin is only 1/10 of an inch.
• Skin is highly permeable, allowing what you apply to your skin entering into your bloodstream.
• Skin absorbs 60% of what you put on it.

Now, knowing that we can move onto what's next. I am always lathering my skin in lotion. I keep it by my bed, in the bathroom (of course), and in my purse. I also have some at work and in the car. Dry skin drives me crazy! So, here are some ways to keep us from getting the that dreaded dry skin.

Here are 5 Ways to Alleviate Dry Skin...

1. Drink more water! For those tea drinkers, drink up on your high anti-oxidant green tea! When we are cold or at least it's cold outside, we tend to drink less. Try drinking water without ice. You drink more without realizing it. I always order water without ice even in the summer. If you are willing to try green tea but do not know what to buy, look for certified organic. It has a richer flavor. This will keep you from adding extra sugar and cream.
2. Even though potato soup sounds good almost any day in the winter, adding more raw foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids will be hydrating to your skin from the inside out! These foods ar
e also anti-aging foods. Refer to the list at the bottom. Better yet ask me for recipes that include these foods as well.
3. Take time for yourself in a warm bath, not hot. A quality bath salt can soften your skin with exfoliation. When choosing bath salts, you can refer to the list that will be posted on harsh chem
icals in skin care and cosmetics.
4. Wear gloves! Hey, it's a reason to go get those you were looking at the other day! Just kidding. Bundling up will protect your skin from the climate changes getting in and out of your car.
5. Here is the biggie! Moisturize daily with a non-clogging organic body lotion such as coconut oil or body butter. These nourish without clogging, as many toxin-moisturizers do

Questions that are probably rising, why organic? My lotion doesn't clog my pores, so is it good? A list of chemicals that can be found in your non-organic moisturizers is coming up next. Stay tuned!
My thinking sometimes is if it's expensive, it must have some good stuff in it! Seriously, I think that way sometimes. I have to remember even if it has a leaf on it, says phrases I like to hear, has my favorite colors, smells nice, and so on this doesn't mean they are looking out for me! Why not?
The beauty industry answers to no one! The FDA has not rules or regulations that the beauty industry has to abide by including mandatory testing. This creates loopholes which is why we must...

Define The Terms...
• "For Professional Use Only"- This allows cosmetic companies to not post the harmful chemicals on
 the label.
• "Hypoallergenic"- No testing is necessary to claim this is safe for sensitive skin. There are no regulations to claim such a statement.
• "Harmful Chemicals"- Unless the chemicals are put there intentionally, there is no requirement to say there are harmful toxins in the skin care or cosmetics.

This is all so frustrating. Like we needed one more thing to think about, right? In order to live healthier and better, we have to take care of ourselves literally. We have to educate ourselves. We opt to put great food in our body, so why is it not important what we put on our body? Dr Mercola says, "We shouldn't put anything on our body, that we wouldn't eat." Ponder that. Taking care of ourselves takes work, it's not easy. Nothing worth having ever is easy.

Beauty Industry Facts:
• In the U.S. alone, the industry makes $50 billion a year... off of us!
• They budget $2 million for advertising.
• Women who wear make-up daily absorb 5 pound of toxins a year.

The beauty industry is motivated by their profits. Can you blame them? $50 billion!
There's more to come! We will talk about toxins, skin care/cosmetic ingredients, how to get healthy skin, and a 5 min. fix. Coming Next!

Flaxseed
Walnuts
Salmon
Soy beans
Halibut
Shrimp
Tofu
Scallops
Winter Squash







No comments:

Post a Comment