07 January 2010

Recipe: Winter Salad

This is a great winter salad! I created this when I was doing my ex-ternship at the Greenbrier Sporting Club. Part of schooling at Johnson & Wales includes a 3-month internship  and you must create a dish that is suitable for the menu at the place you are working. This was my dish I introduced to the resort.
It consists of grilled Grannysmith apples with apple cider caramel sauce & the salad has Earthbound mixed organic greens, dry roasted walnuts, dried cranberries, cranberry tuille cookie (optional), thin slices of butternut squash, and a wedge of Humboldt Fog cheese. The greens are dressed in bacon and apple cider vinaigrette.
Variations could include substituting the squash for sweet potato and/or the Humboldt Fog to a cheese that is more popular like a chevre. To purchase, I would get my ingredients at Trader Joe's simply because I always am impressed with their dried fruit, produce, and artisanal cheeses, and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment