20 January 2010

Conquering Your Cravings

I am reading today. I like to read a book 2x's typically then give it away. Cookbooks and health-related book are the exception so I will not be giving this one away, Eat This and Live. I find this so amazing! Everything I read is powerful information or just mind-blowing. Some facts shock me to the point that shock alone keeps it in my memory!

HERE ARE SOME FACTS I FOUND INTERESTING:
• As an average American, you will consume 5 pounds of food today.
• Over your lifetime, that is over seventy tons of food that will pass through your intestinal tract and are assimilated by your body.
• Seventy tons of food is equivalent of about 40 mid-sized cars.
• This is all based on the average American lifespan, 77.6 years old.

I 'm sure there are some out there who's new year's resolution is to eat better and exercise more. I am one of them! I now have a gym membership and am making all the more health-conscious habits. I am asking questions, seeking answers, consulting with doctors, and wellness educators to bring you and myself the best information possible.
However, today I am feeling a little un-motivated so thus the book. Sometimes it helps for me
to read when I am feeling un-motivated. It kicks those nasty thoughts, those of french fries and ketchup.
My theory is if you don't pay for quality food now, you'll pay later in the doctor bills and high insurance rates. So, how can you afford not to take care of yourself now.
Believe me, practicing what I preach is irritating on occasion. I have days sometimes where I just want to enjoy a Boston Creme doughnut and a milkshake from Sonic. Ha I am being very real with you right now. I have to choose. I have to decide how that will make me feel afterwards. I never just eat and then think. I can't afford to eat that way. I do splurge don't get me wrong; when I do, I try to stay away from the processed foods. I opt for home-made desserts. Read with me!
Here is an excerpt from the book Eat This and Live written by Dr. Don Colbert.

CONQUER YOUR CRAVINGS page 12

1. Never go anywhere without packing a healthy snack such as fruit or nuts in single-serving -size resealable bags or containers.

2. Keep water with you at all times. Drinking water can often curb hunger pangs
and make you feel full without turning to unhealthy foods or high-sugar beverages.

3. Think of a healthier alternative. For instance, instead of a bowl of ice cream, try a scoop of frozen yogurt; instead of potato chips and French onion dip,
try baked chips and fresh salsa. While these alternatives might not be ideal, they are a step in the right direction and can help bridge the gap between where you've been and where you want to be with your diet.

4. Control your portions. If you do slip up and indulge in an unhealthy food, never eat directly from the package. Place a small portion on a plate and put the rest away. Challenge yourself to leave part of the food on the plate when you're through, or see if you can move on after only a bite or two.

5. Keep track of your cravings. This can be a key to determining the underlying emotions such
as stress that may be causing you to turn to food as certain times of the day, week, or month.

6. Distant yourself. Taking a brisk walk will not only help to get your mind off of your craving, but it will also release stress and burn off some calories in the process. Calling a friend is calorie free and fat free, and a much healthier source of comfort than a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

7. Eat three well-balanced meals a day and a healthy mid-afternoon snack. Consume high-fiber foods with each meal or snack. This will help stabilize
blood sugar and help to control hunger. I do try to do this and have for a few years. I find this book extremely helpful and encourage you to get it or at least check it out!

My new year's resolution is exercise more but also to cut coupons and save where I can. See I really enjoy these organic ingredient energy bars we get at our coffeeshop. I love, love, love them! They cost me $4; I justify it by saying to myself, they're great for me! I am right; however, I could make these at home for less.
So, today I will be experimenting/making energy bars at home. The ingredients include oats, peanut butter, agave nectar, oil, brown sugar, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, madagascar vanilla, sea salt, white chocolate chips, blueberries, and dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment