11 January 2010

The Daniel Fast

So, this blog was a request from our good friends in Kansas City who are challenged to the Daniel Fast! Hey, thanks for following the blog! I heard that meats & chocolate is what you miss the most! I reviewed the diet, and it's similar to the food I eat on a regular basis. However, I do eat chocolate on occasion.
There is a chocolate substitution called carob. It's native to the Mediterranean and a flowering evergreen shrub from the pea family.

A source of recipes you may find helpful if you are venturing out to be like Daniel is Hallelujah Acres website. There are some recipes that will suit your needs. Hallelujah Acres is a vegetarian diet & lifestyle so there are some natural sweeteners used. Here are some I found that may satisfy that crave for chocolate!

Almond Butter Carob Crunchies
Carob Peppermint Hedgehog Balls

I realize what I am about to suggest is no Medium Rare Porterhouse Steak with a Brown Savory Mushroom Sauce... However, this is suppose to stretch you and about making sacrifices. Kudos to you for making yourself a stronger, better you!
I realize meat is part of most people in America's daily consumption. I personally choose not to eat meat which has no political or spiritual ties, simply a preference. So, I do have some vegetarian meat alternatives!!

Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Paired With
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Also, another thought I had is tofu or tvp. I know, I know that sounds so non-meat! I totally agree. It has taken me a long time to work up the nerve to try it! Tofu is a odd texture when raw and a bit intimidating to cook (at least for me). The best ways I've had it is in a Vegetarian Chili or Asian style.
Marinate the tofu in some soy with chili peppers. Give it a spice to kick it up! Sesame or Peanut oil would work well with it too! Sear it on high for a couple minutes to give it a crisp edge. If you cook on low, it will fall apart.

Put it with a Spinach Salad & making a Ginger Dressing to go on it is super easy! I used a Carrot Ginger Dressing from Epicurious that was super easy and delicious!
Also, here is what I did for my new year's dinner. I cooked some veggies in the wok!

Veggie Lo Mein-serves 4

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
4 Handfuls of Fresh Snow Peas
1 sm. Red Bell Pepper, Matchsticks
1 Handful Thin Sliced Carrots
4 Scallions, Thinly Sliced (These are usually sold in bunches so fix baked potatoes the next day and dress the potato with scallions. So, these don't go bad.)
2 Handfuls of Bean Sprouts (optional)
1 in. Peeled Gingerroot, Grated
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1/2 to 3/4 lbs. Thin Spagetti Noodles, al dente
1/2 cup of Aged Tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil

M.O.P.:
• First, bring a large pot to a boil. Shock your veggies- snow peas, pepper and carrots. Quickly run cold water over so they do not continue to cook.
• Next, Boil pasta till al dente then set aside.
• Prepare your ginger and garlic.
• Heat wok/large skillet on high. When pan is hot, add oil (It will smoke a bit). Immediately add garlic and ginger.
• Stir continuously so the garlic doesn't burn. Add veggies. When veggies are warm, add noodles. Combine.
• Pull the lo mein off the stove and drizzle sesame oil over to season.
• Plate it and top with scallions.

Now, doesn't this make tofu sound a little better?!

As far as a vegetarian chili, I do not have a recipe that fits the Daniel Fast requirements. I will keep searching. I do have many vegetarian recipes so leave a comment if you are interested in more!

No comments:

Post a Comment